Scheduling Guidelines and CPS Updates
Introductory Seminars are expected to meet university expectations regarding in-class hours per week. Scheduling guidelines differ by seminar type.
IntroSems are scheduled by the offering department or program. The department course administrator also handles classroom reservations.
SIS IntroSems Program administrators make small updates to the CPS class record to facilitate batch enrollment in the IntroSems each quarter, before Axess opens to students for course enrollment. The Program continues to manage enrollment in IntroSems that fulfill WRITE 2, the university's second level writing requirement.
- A 3-unit Frosh IntroSem is generally expected to meet twice weekly, in two 75-minute meetings, or 150 minutes of weekly in-class time.
- Sophomore IntroSems may have more flexibility in meeting pattern; however, the preferred schedule for a 3-unit Sophomore IntroSem is two 75-minute meetings per week, or 150 minutes of weekly in-class time.
- Sophomore IntroSem Dialogues may have more flexibility in meeting pattern; however, the preferred schedule is two 75-minute meetings per week, or 150 minutes of weekly in-class time.
SIS IntroSem Updates to the Class Record
To facilitate the batch enrollment of admitted students before Axess opens for registration each quarter, please be aware that IntroSems Program administrators will make the following adjustments in the class record of each IntroSem:
- Set the add consent field to "Instructor Consent Required"
- Adjust the enrollment capacity, per instructor request
- Add note indicating seminar cohort preference and providing the IntroSems url (this note appears in ExploreCourses)
Department course administrators are asked not to change these adjustments prior to the opening of Axess for course registration each quarter, especially during periods of batch enrollment.
Consent Settings for WRITE 2 IntroSems
IntroSems that fulfill Stanford's second level writing requirement, Writing 2 or WRITE 2, remain set to "Instructor Consent Required" for both add and drop consent in CPS/Axess. IntroSems Program administrators oversee enrollment in WRITE 2 Introductory Seminars in consultation with the course instructor, their waitlist, and the PWR Office.
Students admitted to a WRITE 2 IntroSem must contact firstname.lastname@example.org if they decide to drop the class. They cannot drop the class themselves in Axess.