What's Your Enrollment Status?
Priority Enrollment Status Posted
Following instructor review, enrollment results for each quarter will be released in the IntroSems' VCA by:
- Thursday, September 22 (Autumn Quarter)
- Friday, November 18 (Winter Quarter)
- Friday, February 24 (Spring Quarter)
Check your status by logging into the IntroSems's VCA at vcais.stanford.edu on these dates. If you receive priority enrollment in an IntroSem, you will be notified and enrolled so that the class automatically shows up on your study list in Axess.
What to Do if Your Status Is
Students admitted to one or more IntroSems will have the course units pre-loaded on their study list before AXESS opens for the quarter (Autumn Quarter is an exception - units will be loaded during NSO by September 22). This priority enrollment will occur for the student provided that doing so (1) will not exceed the 20-unit maximum load for their study list, and/or (2) there are no outstanding enrollment HOLDS on the student's record.
As you build your study list for the quarter, you may decide to drop the IntroSem—something you can do yourself in Axess (WRITE 2 IntroSems excluded). Please remember that there may be a waitlisted student who would like the space you are vacating, so please try to take action in Axess as soon as you can. As a courtesy, please notify the instructor if you drop.
When courses receive more students signing up for priority enrollment than can be enrolled, instructors are encouraged to waitlist those students they would like to accommodate if space becomes available later.
Being Waitlisted (Priority to Enroll)
For seminars in which faculty are maintaining a waitlist, you will see a status of "waitlisted" indicated in the IntroSems' VCA. The faculty will reach out to waitlisted students to enroll if space becomes available and provide a permission number to use in Axess. (To enroll in a seminar with a permission number, try using the "Enroll" link under your Academics menu in Axess first, not the "SimpleEnroll" link.)
Some IntroSems have more students sign up than there are spots in the class or on the waitlist, so if your status shows as "not admitted" for an IntroSem, try these other options.
Open for Enrollment
Check the Space Available page for IntroSems that still have space available and deserve another look. Enroll yourself through Axess, first come, first served.
Attend the First Day of a Different Class
Unexpected opportunities can arise. Consider attending the first class meeting of a seminar interests you and/or emailing the instructor to ask if that would be okay. Students may have decided to drop the class, making room for new students in the class or on the waitlist.
Try not to get discouraged if you strike out on your selections for priority enrollment; about a third of seminars simply have more demand than space. It's not personal! Look at the course listings for the next quarter(s); some IntroSems are offered in more than one quarter and may be competitive in one quarter but not the next. Consider changing your approach--select seminars from different disciplines and/or submit a short statement of interest for any class that you rank, not just your first choice.
Enrollment in WRITE 2 IntroSems is managed by IntroSems, not PWR. To track fulfillment of the requirement, please be advised that:
- Only the IntroSems' program administrator can add or drop you to a WRITE 2 in Axess.
- If your plans change and you cannot take the WRITE 2 IntroSem you were admitted to, notification to IntroSems and the instructor is required, not to PWR.
- If you are on the waitlist, attend the first class meeting to demonstrate your continued interest.
Key Points about WRITE 2 IntroSems
- Completion of a WRITE 2 IntroSem will satisfy the University's second level Writing and Rhetoric requirement (WRITE 2).
- If the WRITE 2 IntroSem is certified to satisfy a Way, the course may count towards fulfilling the Way in addition to the WRITE 2 requirement.
- Enrollment in WRITE 2 IntroSems is primarily limited to sophomores and new transfers who have completed the first-level Writing and Rhetoric requirement (PWR1 or approved equivalent) and have not yet fulfilled WRITE 2 (PWR 2).
- Enrollment in a WRITE 2 IntroSem is handled by the IntroSems Program, not the PWR Office.
- A Note About PWR2 Preferences (from the PWR program website) when you apply for a WRITE 2 IntroSem:
When you apply for a WRITE 2 IntroSem that is offered in the same quarter as your PWR 2 assignment, you are still required to submit PWR 2 section preferences for that quarter. If you are admitted to the WRITE 2 IntroSem, the IntroSem becomes your defacto "first choice" and eliminates all your PWR 2 preferences. If you apply but are waitlisted or not admitted to a WRITE 2 IntroSem, a PWR 2 section will be assigned to you based on the preferences you entered.
If you are enrolled in a WRITE 2 IntroSem that is offered before your assigned PWR 2 quarter, the PWR Office will cancel your future PWR 2 assignment.
For more information, please read PWR Course, Assignment, and Enrollment Answers.
- Enrolling Without Advance Sign-Up
- Once Axess is open for course enrollment for the quarter, IntroSems that still have space available will be opened for student self-enrollment in Axess.
- Check the Space Available page in the IntroSems catalog for seminars that will open. Self-enroll in Axess first come, first served, and introduce yourself to the IntroSem instructor by email. Be sure to attend the first class meeting.
- During the first and second weeks of instruction, additional seminars may be added to the list. Bookmark and monitor the Space Available page for new IntroSems.
- If you are enrolling in more than one IntroSem in the same quarter, consider speaking with your Undergraduate Advising Director about your study list and future academic plans.