Russell A. Berman Award for Excellence in an Introductory Seminar
Each academic year, faculty nominate exemplary student projects for a Russell A. Berman Award for Excellence in an Introductory Seminar. All winners are invited to an annual spring awards ceremony that celebrates the diverse and innovative learning experiences across all IntroSem courses.
Nominations for SQ 2022-23, AQ 2023-24, and WQ 2023-24 due by April 1, 2024.
- Nominated student projects must have been produced in an Introductory Seminar during Spring Quarter of the prior academic year or during Autumn and Winter Quarters of the current academic year.
- Nominated students must have been frosh or sophomores at the time of the Introductory Seminar.
- Projects may be individual or by small groups.
- Faculty may only nominate one student project per IntroSem course.
To nominate a student project, faculty submit the following information through the nomination form:
- IntroSem Faculty Name(s)
- Faculty Email(s)
- IntroSem Course Title, Catalog Number, and Academic Term
- Nominated Student Name(s)
- Nominated Student Email(s)
- Title of Nominated Project
- Nomination Note (attachment or entry field): In your note (one paragraph, no longer than one page), please explain why this student or group deserves this award. What constitutes "excellence" in terms of your seminar and discipline and why is this project exemplary? How did the student(s) show a commitment to the process of the project's development, such as making revisions or adjustments based on feedback or demonstrating significant growth and learning? To what extent did the student(s) take advantage of your mentoring and guidance throughout the project process?
- Nominated Project (Attachment or URL)
- Course Syllabus & Assignment
To be eligible for the Spring Quarter Awards Ceremony, faculty should submit nominations by April 1, 2024 for outstanding work produced in an IntroSem in Spring of the prior academic year or Autumn and Winter of the current academic year.
Excellence Awards Celebration
Winners are announced Spring Quarter.
Student winners receive a monetary award and certificate at an annual Spring awards celebration with nominating faculty.
For more information about the IntroSems Excellence Awards, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.